We apologize to our viewers for any inconvenience this posts' delay may have caused you; we are now continuing with our regular program.
Tyrn and I spent our last few days in Australia with our amazing friends in Brisbane. This is Craig showing Ty the joys of Bundaberg Rum (Craig's home town north of Brisbane). Both Craig and Jill are teachers who met while teaching in Italy. It was great to relax with these cats before making our last journey on this trip.
Jill making omlettes for us.
Tyrn laughing uncontrolably when the omlette flipping technique didn't work out as planned and the goopy eggs were everywhere. They still tasted good and we absolutely enjoyed Jill and Craig's Aussie/Canuck hospitality.
The day before our flight home. Packing and making sure we are ready, I always seem to rake my nerves the night before something big.
We started our trip home in the Brisbane airport at 6:30am on May 22nd. We then flew to New Zealand in 3 hours (long story) and then layed over in Auckland for 4 hours. We are still looking all pretty and chipper at this time, but just wait another 50 hours when we finally stagger through the Edmonton arrival gate.
We then flew from Auckland to Melbourne (4 hour trip) and layed over for another couple of hours. We then took off for Dubai our long 14 hour flight and layed over there for 2 hours. This connection was pretty tight and we ended up running through the insanely busy Dubai airport, but made our flight with time to spare.
Next we boarded our flight to London Heathrow a 7.5 hour flight over Europe.
Our final connection was 3 hours long and we spent it working out a ticket mistake with Air Canada. Apparently, Emirates (who we were flying with) hadn't actually booked our tickets with Air Canada for our last flight to Edmonton. Of course when they check the plane is incredibly full, but they got us on Air Canada flight 899 somehow.
FINALLY, we are headed home! Our last flight was 9 hours, making our total transport time 52 hours and our total flight hours 41- yikes! (I know, we are INSANE) We landed in Edmonton at 5:25pm on May 23rd, however that would be the 24th in Australia time.
Waiting for us, as promised, with a sign was Tyrn's little bro Matthew. Unfortunately, one of our bags didn't make all of our connections with us and so we had to fill out a lost bag claim. This took forever, because like the good Canadians we are, we let everyone go in front of us in line making us the LAST two people in the terminal.
This is my parents and Matt wondering where we are? All the other folks were cleared out by the time we pushed through those arrival doors.
We aren't looking as pretty anymore. (Yes, that is how they wear thier socks in Europe these days.) 
Tyrn's mom has been planning our welcome home supper for about 3 months now and it was FANTASTIC! We had steak, greek salad, delicious potatoes and all the trimmings. Of course all I really cared about was the cheesecake for dessert.
7 comments:
Good to hear that you are home safe and sound. Mmmm that cheese cake lots so yummy. I think the cheese cake in the bakeries here is missed labeled. It really should be called sponge cake or fluff cake, although I did spot an Italian deli (severing the usual yummy Italian foods AND desserts) along my travels. I don't think I can wait until we get home for some cheesy cheese cake so maybe I'll have to pay this deli a visit VERY soon.
Love ya,
A
Welcome back to Canada you two! When things have settled for you, we should get together sometime. We'll have someone new to introduce to as well!
Vicky H.
It's wierd to log on to your blog and see that you are in the same time zone as we are.... welcome home!
Jessica & Paul
Welcome HOme !
what a trip !
i can't beleive it's been 10 month already!
it seems like yesterday u were wiht me , but then almost seems like eternity!
so u didn't go to NZ, in the end ;.. (well appart for 4 hours, i remember the shop in the airport by the way!!!!lol)
yum ! cheesecakes!
ps: it is NOT the new fashion in Europe to wear the socks like this !
luv u both an d glad u r fine
take care
C.
Welcome home! We enjoyed your photo's, stories and travels. Your sharing has been incredible!!!! Love you both. Beth and Bruce
Wow, I can't believe how the time has flown by and you are back!!! I can't believe your flights back....I got tired just reading about it! I though a 12 hour and 9 hour flight back to back was bad, but that was nothing compared to your flights. I know that you now have a ton of people that you have to visit, but I, well I guess I should say we, would love to see you and introduce you to our little guy. Glad to hear that you made it back safe!
Love, Jen
Wow! What an absolutely amazing honeymoon! I have thoroughly enjoyed all your photos and the entertaining commentary.
Welcome back to Canada!
Leanne LaRocque
Post a Comment